Monday 30 December 2013

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead | Review

Please note: This is not a spoiler free review

The Fiery Heart is the fourth book in the Bloodlines series. Richelle Mead has a wonderful knack of ending books right at a point where you desperately want to know more, so it's fair to say that I've anticipated this instalment in the series since the moment I closed the third book, The Indigo Spell.


This is the first book in the series that is very much Adrian Ivashkov's story. It's half told from his point of view, and the part of the story that excited me the most was Adrian struggling to meet his potential while dealing with side-effects of spirit magic. 



Sydney has been an incredibly hard character to like throughout the series, but she's always been perfect to Adrian. And in this book, you start to understand why. Towards the end she gathers her courage to an ending which was quite remarkable (although we all knew that the Alchemists were going to attempt to re-educate at some point since it was mentioned in the first book, right?) and I did feel my heart tug when Adrian realised she was gone. 


The introduction of Zoe in this book was an incredibly interesting development, and obviously structurally-important as she is the one that shops Sydney in to the alchemists, but I do feel like the character of Zoe could have been developed more. Adrian and Sydney got a lot of much-needed time together, but I do feel that some of this sacrificed time for us to get to know Zoe. That being said, we know enough about Zoe to know she is everything an alchemist should be - prim, proper, and hates anything supernatural. As you can probably tell, I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Zoe thing. I wish she was a bit more than a means to an end for a plot for one story. But you never know, she might have a change of heart and bust Sydney out of re-education in Silver Shadows. (I doubt it).


All in all, Richelle Mead has created another book that I adored. She left me hanging on a thread the whole way through and I adored it. I can't wait for Silver Shadows (released 29/04/2014).



Follow me on: 

No comments:

Post a Comment